- Thaw turkey in it's wrapper. This may take a day or two in the refrigerator.
- Calculate cooking time based on 20 minutes per pound.
- Be sure to check inside cavity and remove giblets and neck.
- Rinse the outside and inside of the turkey.
- Place turkey breast side up in the roaster, secure legs.
- Roast until juices run clear and when thermometer in thickest part of thigh registers 175-180F (77-82C).
- Be sure to check turkey the last 60 minutes before the calculated roasting time is up. I find my turkeys can be done up to 30-60 minutes early.
- Let turkey rest outside oven for 30 minutes before carving.
And, here's what you'll need:
4-5 medium onions
1 package bacon
1/2 cup butter or margarine
fresh poultry herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme)
1) Stuff turkey with onions and fresh poultry herbs (rosemary, sage and thyme) and place in roaster.
2) Make Herb Butter by combining 1/2 cup butter or margarine with lots of fresh poultry herbs (rosemary, sage and thyme), garlic salt and pepper. Cover the top of the turkey Herb Butter.
3) Then wrap top of turkey with one package of raw bacon.
4) Roast @ 350° for the calculated cooking time (see tips above).
5) Remove bacon before carving.